Friday March 24, 2023. The Helmet.

The TSG Dawn Flex Helmet.  CPSC and CE (EN 1078) certified.  480 grams.

TSG (Dawn Flex model) and S1 Retro Lifer arrived, thanks Amazon.  These are what it boiled down to, taking style, fit and protection data from various threads and YouTube videos.

The S1 Retro Lifer Helmet. CPSC, CE EN 1078 and ASTM (multi-impact) Certified.

Both fit comfortably on my 22.5" dome, I was an L/XL fit for both lids - I believe the sizing charts are fairly accurate to trust, if you're shopping around.  They'll get you in the ball park, then just tune your fit with the extra padding they both supply.

Good quality, no disappointment in construction or feel.  Pricing seems fair for what you get.

I thought having both on hand, one would clearly stand out over the other.  Nope.  The TSG's shell is just a little more flexy than the S1 (and more flexy than the ProTec full cut).  The S1 feels pretty rigid, but not to the point where it's difficult to get on.  Quality-wise, they are about equal.  I would note the Velcro tabs that the foam attached to is a bit flimsy in the TSG, but not really a concern, it also comes with extra adhesive Velcro tabs (4 extras).

On the head, the S1 fits well, snug. I used a mix of the padding (on both helmets) to tune the fit.  The Retro-Lifer is very light, other than contact points, you don't even feel it on your head.  There's the slightest, just barely discernible front to back play, but only when I push the helmet with my hand, and it's only like a 16th of an inch.  A thicker pad would alleviate this.  It looks good, not overly bulbous, doesn't sit too high, covers a good portion of the forehead, and moves with your head like it's not even there.  The only slight drawback is that from top to bottom, it's a tad short.  My ears just barely fit in the ear hole area, the bottom of my earlobes just touch the padding - and it's not adjustable there.  And I have small ears.  There's not an option for a thinner pad on the top of the head, so this can't be tuned in/out.

TSG Dawn Flex, looks pretty standard skate-style helmet.  Sits a bit taller on my head than I'd like.

The TSG, on the other hand, fits well too.  It has a different feel - it feels soft when you put it on, at least on the inside.  I think it has to do with the segmented foam inside, it's similar to a MIPS System.  I'd suggest it's a bit more comfortable than the S1?  But only because you feel it on your head - like your head is getting a soft hug,  it doesn't virtually disappear like the S1.  The fit is snug, no slop or play.  But again, you notice it's there, it has the slightest feeling of top weight to it.  When I roll my head around, I can notice it's presence.  Forehead coverage is good, slightly less than the S1, but still adequate.  Looks-wise, it's fine too.  It's a bit taller on my head than I'd like, but not awkward, just an aesthetic thing I notice.

The S1 Retro Lifer, more of a "biker look"

Picking between the two is difficult - both are quality products that I trust will do the job.  The only real nitpicks are the slight ear-fitting thing with the S1 vs. the tall factor/weight perception of the TSG.  Both look fine, but the aesthetic of the S1 appeals more to me, it's more like a "Bike Helmet"  than the TSG, but I think the TSG may be a better helmet overall - though there's no mention of it withstanding multiple impacts.  

After some careful deliberation, I think the S1 Retro Lifer is the winner.  Aesthetics aside, I like the way it moves with my head and I can't really feel it.  While on, it feels as it protects the sides of my head a bit better, and I know it's a different "system" for absorbing impact than the TSG, but it feels more robust.  The flex of the TSG gives the slightest feeling of "I hope this is enough", where I don't get that feeling with the S1.






Comments

Popular Posts