April 8, 2023 - Escape Velocity

First time really committing to pushing over coping and meaning it on the 5ft updated version.


It's been a struggle to wrap my head around the updated ramp, the extra transition was more intimidating that I would have thought. For a minute I seriously doubted I'd be able to deal.

But on April 7th, I decided to just push a little harder past my comfort zone, sort of on accident. I set a camera up just do a progress report, and figured if I got comfy, I'd push it once or twice. After a few smooth turns/passes/laps, the rhythm felt good so instead of checking my speed before hitting the next wall, I just let it flow.


Difficult to describe the difference in sensation from carving and hopping up over coping, compared to riding as up as much transition as you can before leaving the ramp - but it feels cool. I don't know what the problem was for me, the speed, the turning... I think its the speed. Suddenly you realize you're propelling yourself up this ramp thing, and the sensation of speed combined with the upwards trajectory triggers a weird survival response.


There's no real mechanical trick or technique to it. I watched tons of how to vids, and while they all sort of apply - they miss or ignore the speed thing. The deal is, if you can carve and hop up over coping - you've got all the bike control skills you need. You just have to go faster, and deal - the same way as at or below coping. Your reactions and reflex will take care of it.  

So, I broke through my fear factor - a little bit, anyhow. I switched to another bike and did even better with less effort/worry. But now I have to heed my own advice and instruction to go higher. Mind games. But now, I don't feel the ramp is holding me back. It's just on me now.







Comments

Popular Posts