Monday February 27 2023

Monday is a drag.

Work starts at 4:30pm, which means I need to rush things in the morning if I want to make any time to ride before I go in.  Shouldn't complain - it is February and I'm riding in a t-shirt, even if it's for an hour.

Had some second thoughts about making the ramp higher today.  Had a hard time getting started, riding the Caveman.  The bars have less sweep - that is, they're straighter across from side to side than the bars on my ATF.  Makes the bike behave a little different, mostly in how it turns.  So at first, I couldn't really get high enough air on the short side, to give me speed to really launch off the extension.  Thought maybe the extension was maybe hurting me more than helping, because at the moment I'm riding two different transitions back to back.  Thought maybe, just keep it at the same height, and enjoy the idea that I'm now riding it at a level I didn't really think I'd reach.  Why mess that up?  Just progress on what you have and call it good.  

Nah.  I think, at about 5ft tall, I'll have enough upwards transition to make 3ft above coping technically easier, just have to muster the courage to hit that shit. It will make certain lip tricks more of a challenge, but I'm cool with that.  Plans are drawn up in illustrator, just need to do the math on wood needed to keep it economical as possible.  Integrating the extension in to the existing structure provides a couple challenges I've not completely worked out yet, but I have a loose plan for it.  Maybe by next weekend?

If you erase the extension from the picture, this would match the highest I've reached without it there.  Need to push past, so I'm actually taking advantage of the extra reach.

Meanwhile, the idea is to get as high off the extension as I'm brave enough to push.  Thought I made progress today, but turns out I'm about the same as last time.  The frustrating part is, the transition is the same radius on both sides.  But the visual of the extension really presents itself as a foreign obstacle, rather than a continuation of what's there.  My bike is going (with me aboard) in the same exact arc/path as it would were the extension not there.  Mind games.  Will give another go tomorrow before lunch.










Comments

Popular Posts